Saturday 31 January 2015

Volkssturm

So I have been painting ALOT of stuff and neglecting to post it all up.  I will be trying to remedy that!  First of all since Bridge at Remagen came out I have really wanted to get my King Tigers on the table.  And there is no better way than using the Reluctant Veteran Schwere (506) out of said book.
 That being said I ordered up some Volkssturm.  Or as Steven from WWPD calls them "Blood bags."
 There was no way I was going to paint these bad ass old vets without basing them on rubble.  So that is what I set out to do!  Cool Eye patch Herr General!
 I painted everyone on golf tees before gluing them in place on the rubble.  I then used 3 different grades of basing grit from Gale Force 9.  First I sprinkle the Medium grit followed by fine.  Then lastly the super fine to fill in any holes.
 I figured that these guys would be fighting in the ruins of Berlin.  So the rubble should be grey pulverized stone.  Unlike Italy, which I tend to add in alot of Buff or Light browns.
 So I stuck with a base of German Camo Black brown followed by heavy drybrush of German grey.  Then London grey and finally sky grey highlights.  (Vallejo)
 I really wanted the dudes to pop and not be hidden by the basing.  I spent a ton of time making every figure unique.
 There are guys wearing Luftwaffe blue stuff, guys in full Nazi party tan.  Guys in regular wehrmacht kit.  Guys in a mismatch of every branch.
 FYI the painting guide in the back of Bridge at Remagen is great!
 Here you can see some of the upcoming projects I will post about in the back ground.
 Now some shots of the Volkssturm in action.  I picture them protecting the flanks of the KTs for as long as possible.
 The LMG "Downgrade"  is essential in my opinion.  It has ROF5.  And you will need it to pin incoming assaults.
 The old man.....  Literally,  this guy has an eye patch.  Hes hardcore!
 These guys are all Panzerfaust rifle teams.  Every other figure has one.  And a couple on bikes have 2!


Now I need to finish a 2nd platoon.  Ill be doing them up exactly the same.  Until next time!

3 comments:

  1. Outstanding! The basing and individual details on each figure are incredible. Can't wait to see what else you've been working on :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I´m planning on painting some Vsturm myself

    ReplyDelete